Happy 75th Anniversary!

As noted in a post by Peter Accardo on our main blog, Houghton Library first opened its doors on January 3, 1942 to allow Harvard library staff to preview their new building. At the dedication ceremony the following month, benefactor Arthur Amory Houghton, Jr. expressed the hope that the library would be “fuel for the fire of learning.” Houghton Library has certainly worked hard to fulfill this charge, and this year we are celebrating our 75th anniversary with a whole host of programs and events. Information about all that’s happening can be found at our new Houghton 75th website. Our main exhibition at the moment features materials selected by Harvard faculty, which include John Keats’ copy of Shakespeare, ephemera relating to Bert Williams, and the famed Cranach Press edition of Hamlet.